Signing Up and Getting Started
1. Contact us at email@example.com or call (646) 377–4605 to schedule a consultation to determine pick-up amounts and a convenient schedule.
2. Start presorting your compostables, including food scraps, into a separate bin for pre-scheduled pick-ups. Your first pick-up will begin once we have received payment and you have received your bins.
WHAT TO COMPOST:
- Fruit and vegetable scraps
- Coffee grounds, filters, and paper tea bags
- Bread and grains
- Eggshells and nutshells – NO EGGS
- Stale beans, flour, and spices
- Cut or dried flowers
- Houseplants and potting soil
MATERIALS TO AVOID:
- Meat and fish scraps
- Cheese and dairy products
- Fats, grease, or greasy foods
- Pet feces or litter
- Metal, glass, or plastic (recycle it!)
SWC Compost Membership
We are a non-profit organization and depend on membership fees or donations to keep our Community Compost program running. Please make check payable to Sure We Can.
No need to worry about overflowing bins before your scheduled pick-up. SWC works with each of our members to determine frequency and convenient pick-up schedules.
We provide rodent-resistant bins upon request (two bins max. per membership subscription).
Get back what you put in! Along with contributing fertilizer to community gardens and parks, members are entitled to [one bag] of finished compost.
Commitment to Local Commercial Food Generators through:
- Training on how to sort organic waste
- Daily pick up of food scrap/organic materials; (cans & bottles, if needed)
- Assurance that organic materials (not good for consumption) get properly composted into fertile soil used for healthy food harvesting in the community
- Acceptance and distribution of food donations amongst canners – SURE WE CAN is a 501(c)(3) organization and donations are tax-deductible.
Measurement of project success:
We will measure the success of our composting project on the pounds of food collected, community members involved, number of participating restaurants and organic products for sale.